ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AS AN INTEGRATED PART OF OPERATIONS
BE Group is working with environmental issues as an integrated part of the operations. We have an established platform for developing our environmental management and the challenge lies in measurable continuous improvements and a positive development of environmental performance. With our position between steel producers and customers, it is in the area of transport in particular that we are able to help lessen the environmental impact. In addition, we are continuously working to improve our facilities’ energy consumption, emissions and waste management.
The foundation of our environmetal work is a Group environmental policy. It is continuously updated and is developed in a way to make it easy for the employees to see how they can contribute to reduce the environmental impact in their daily work.
A comprehensive environmental policy forms the basis of BE Group’s environmental work. The policy states that BE Group shall:
- As a minimum comply with current environmental legislation and requirements from local authorities.
- Be economical in the use of energy and natural resources.
- Work to decrease the amount of waste and emissions from our facilities.
- Identify opportunities to make adjustments benefiting the environment when making investments and changes in processes and facilities.
- Maintain a high level of awareness on environmental issues through ongoing training.
- Document and communicate environmental work to employees and provide open and objective information to external stakeholders.
BE Group is engaged in operations at two sites in Sweden for which environmental permits are required. In Finland, operations in one site require environmental permits. Group companies have obtained special permits to engage in operations in the countries where such permits are required. All operations within the Group, with the exception of operation in Lithuania and Lecor Stålteknik, are certified under the ISO 14001 environmental management system.