BE Group’s history began at the end of the 19th century. In 1885 to be exact, when brothers Hans and Jöns Edstrand founded Bröderna Edstrand. The family business had its base in Malmö and mainly offered commercial steel to local industry. The company stayed in the family until 1988, when Trelleborg AB took over the ownership. Together with Nordic Capital, a jointly owned company was gradually formed, of which the Finnish company Starckjohann Steel (founded in 1868) was also part.
At the end of the 1990s, the Company established units in several countries around the Baltic Sea, including Denmark, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania. The European expansion continued until the early 2000s with new establishments in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. In 2006, after Trelleborg AB divested all shares, the Company was listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange under the joint name BE Group AB. In 2008, 50 percent of the shares in the joint venture ArcelorMittal BE Group SSC AB was acquired, and another two years later, the Kungälv company Lecor Stålteknik was also incorporated into the Company.
After 80 years at the same address, the headquarters moved to modern new offices on Krangatan in Malmö, Sweden in 2017. The move is part of an extensive restructuring with the aim of streamlining production and administration, increasing flexibility and improving the Company’s offering further. In 2020 – after nearly a century and a half in Malmö – the Swedish warehousing and production operations were centralized to Norrköping. At the same time, the Company invested more than SEK 60 million in a new automated production line. The investment was one of the largest in the Company’s history and made the Norrköping unit one of Northern Europe’s most modern and most efficient steel service centers.
In 1868, Starckjohann & Co was founded by Peter Starckjohann in the Finnish town of Viborg.
In 1885, Bröderna Edstrand was founded by Hans and Jöns Edstrand in Malmö, Sweden.